Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Little Things...

  Man those little things add up.  Little things go wrong and suddenly I am in full meltdown mode.  Little things go right and Life could never be better!  We went through a lot of emotional ups and downs the past week.  In the interest of full disclosure, I will update you on Leland Life - via bullet point - "downers" first -"ups" last to ensure smiles and not leave you thinking I am drowning in tears.

Downers!
  • Sickness!  A total body dump for Mom and endless snot for the babies.  We are still fighting this, though the mucus has gone from clear to thick and green(which I think means healing, but makes your head all the heavier!)
  • We have no friends!  Ok we do have friends, but no families with young children here in the area.  It is such a blessing to have similar minded/situated friends making their way through life with you a quick drive away.  Plus the kids NEED other kids to play with/learn from.  Ok maybe they don't need them, but it makes mom's life easier.
  • I am absolutely awful at making friends!  I have attempted 3 meetups here in North Austin.  The first I was in the wrong place (I jumbled highway numbers.)  The second I was the only one to show(it was a daily Mass meet-up, so my friend Jesus was there, and able to witness Gabe dump a bowl of Holy Water during Communion.)  The third, another mom said she was there, but I could not find her(She claimed to be late and then drove a car other than what she had told, I drove home 2 hrs later in tears.  How am I supposed to enjoy the park, when I am constantly looking for someone/checking my phone?)  I also suppose it can be intimidating(?) for people to walk up and friend me, the frazzled very pregnant one with two very active toddlers.
  • My family is faaaaar awaaaay and they all live together (Mom, Dad, 5 siblings.)  So I am pretty much on my own out here and out of thought or at least out of phone calls...aaahhem (hint hint.) 
  • This Holiday Season is also looking pretty lonely!  We cannot afford to go anywhere, plus we have a little one growing who could make her appearance from Thanksgiving to Christmas!  Some of Michael's family has mentioned trying to visit, but no definites and some of them have just made their own move away from Texas to St. Louis!  My family is crickets.  Not really, they all have their own issues and I guess are trying to be nice by not saying "ain't gonna happen" straight-up.  Not that I even like like people visiting when I am super pregnant.  What is wrong with me!?
  • Husband left for 5 day work Conference the exact morning after my all night pukefest.  I was soooo not meant to be a single parent!  That 6:30pm-7:30pm hour is horrible.  There is a(t least) dinner mess, I am worn out for the day, and somehow the kids catch a second wind of energy.
  • Gabe became obsessed with prettying up his eyes with markers and pillaged make-up, while Sera at some point (don't ask me when) chipped a tooth.  These, combined with that twilight hour of yelling and chasing, makes me a shoe-in for Worst-Mother-of-the-Year.
  • The move set us back a couple of thousand dollars!  We are not poor and I cannot complain.  We actually have a great budget and should come out on top in less than six months (even with our newest's approaching medical bills.)  The problem is that I have been splurging on treats and outings trying to make friends.  Gah!
Ok ok enough of the downers!  Just a reminder of our humanity!  I will get out of this funk.  No wonder no one is calling.  It would be downright depressing to listen to me.  I, myself have avoided dear friends in these situations.

On To The Goodtimes!
  • My body rid itself of all poison (everything really.)  I physically feel great!
  • It was in the 50*'s here and I felt like autumn!  We made apple pie and wore long sleeves (for the morning.)
  • The day before Michael finally came home, Elizabeth (my Sis-in-law) came over and we took the kids to the Vigil Mass, got donuts, and had dinner!  She saved me from a break down! 
  • Michael took off Monday and we went shopping as a family and were super productive.
  • After a few rescheduled appointments, I finally get to see my midwife Heather tomorrow afternoon!  They let kids come and just play in their playroom and with the receptionist, which lets me focus on my check-up!
  • Also They are letting us pay itemized for our maternity care!  This is huge!  It changes our upfront cost from 4,500 to 2,800.  (For those of you curious about homebirth/birthcenter care, they usually charge upfront by 34-36weeks, then insurance refunds you.  In MD/VA/WV homebirth charge is 4,000 and that is a little high because of the legal battles and anti-midwife stigma in the area.  There are no current legally practicing homebirth midwives in MD!  (a topic for another post)  4,500 is a great price for all the "bells and whistles" of this birthcenter in TX!  We get a discount because we transfer in late and can pay upfront early.  The late transfer line is still 3 weeks away for us, but they are soo reasonable and friendly here!  Alright, I will save gushing about Heather for other posts and updates. 
  • I am back in full swing in the kitchen!  We have a shopping schedule and the pantry and fridge are full!  I even pulled out the crock pot!  I have a cycle for big meals and lighter ones and tons of left overs.  This really makes it feel like home. 
  • We have an amazing backyard, just enough landscaping to make it pretty, but not too much to overwork us!





Gabe dresses himself and changes shoes hourly
  • The kids love each other!  It really is the sweetest thing to watch these two.  If Sera gets hurt (which she always does) Gabe tells her it is ok and holds her for a kiss.  He also gets up to usher her back to bed when she comes to the gate for another "20 more minutes of prebed cuddle." (sometimes with a "stop crying!")  They both bargain with each other over watching youtube clips of Elmo(Sera) or Thomas(Gabe.)  Both of them are without fail sure to grab two of anything offered so they can share with the other!  Adorable!  Gabe even talks about holding the new baby and gives her kisses.
  • This makes me happy http://animal.discovery.com/tv/too-cute-kittens/kitten-cam/
  • It is my favorite season and that means chocolate chi, pumpkins, and the beautiful oranges, reds, and yellows in the flowers Michael brings home!
 
I have read a lot of blogs recently from these perfect stay at home moms who have it all together and have like a million hobbies and perfect children, families, and houses.  I cannot relate!  Hopefully someone out there can relate to me!
 
In preparation for December and delving into one of my favorite topics, I'm planning on putting down the birth stories of our first two children for my next posts.  This can be a warning to some folks and a "get excited" for others!  And now can end the longest post ever!!!

2 comments:

  1. Grace - I'm so glad you've been able to settle in a little. And I'm glad that Michael is back to tag team those two cuties with you.
    For the holiday's I'm sure my Aunt's and Uncle's would love to have you over. There are 2 sets of them within 30 minutes of you - I'll shoot them an email for ya if you'd like. You'd basically have free babysitting and delicious food for the day while you're there :)
    I hope you're able to meet some other moms soon. I'll send up some prayers for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I JUST got to catch up on your blog! I didn't know you had updated. I have been in my own funk lately - moving can really suck the life out of you, huh?? I am so sorry about your mom meet-ups failing. I was able to join a bible study at church here where they provide daycare for the 2 hours for only $40/semester! And, there is a great mom's group through the church which I haven't had the chance to go to yet because we have also been sick sick SICK!! All that bad food we've been eating has us run-down. And we aren't sleeping. All that to say - I FEEL YA!!! Things have to look up for us soon right??? Please keep blogging. It makes me happy to see so many pictures of the kids :)

    ReplyDelete